Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:07:12 -0700
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP-related automounter problem

I'm having a strange problem that seems to come up with any snapshots
after the end of August.  It seems that automounting takes two tries.
The first time I'll get a stale NFS handle; the second time everything
is fine.

It isn't a big problem.  It's just annoying.  For example, when
reading mail in emacs I have to try at least two times to reply to
some mail; once to remount the mh directory and once to remount my
home directory.

I have another non-smp machine that doesn't exhibit this problem.

I can use the 970812 snapshot with no problem.  I've used later
August snapshots as well but I don't have them available any more.

My system is a dual-PPro 200 with a super-micro P6DNF board.  (I was
experiencing the same problem with an older super-micro dual-PPro
board which I upgraded for other reasons).

-Fred Gilham    gilham@csl.sri.com