Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:33:13 -0500
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG, garbanzo@hooked.net
Subject:   Re: More timeout problems :(

--------

> >What kind of Quantum drives do you have?  You didn't notice any
> >QUEUE_FULL messages?
>
> The FreeBSD driver doesn't print them out because they often
> occur in such rapid succession that it hangs the system.  This
> is most likely the problem though.  I really need to get this CAM
> code out for people to test since it properly fixes this problem.

Alex's message didn't include the firmware revision on the Quantum TM3200S
drive, but if it's revision 300X, that's the buggy revision that reliably
locks the SCSI bus under certain load patterns.  In that case, I strongly
recommend the firmware revision 301B, which is unofficial but does great
amounts of good on those Quantum Tempest 3.2GB drives.  The firmware itself
and the tool to download the firmware can be found on Leonard Zubkoff's site
www.dandelion.com.  I think it may be under the BusLogic SCSI driver
section, but I'm not sure.

* Doug Ledford                      *   Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x,     *
* dledford@dialnet.net    873-DIAL  *     WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician   *
*   Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
*   communities.  Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other  *
*   873-9000 V.34                   * services available, call for info.    *