Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 07:53:36 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot blocks for serial console ...

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
>> They will guarantee that you will not get access to anything in
>> the computer.  Last perimeter will inject 220V (mains) through
>> vital bits of the computer (including your flash disk) if broken.
>
>I'm curious how many codicils there are in their contract about
>"tamper-proof", however.

Probably no more than the software vendor puts in theirs :-).

>  Let's suggest, for example, that the mains
>power is cut first
The energy required to adequately fry the semiconductors could be
easily stored in capacitors within the box - and even rigged to
trigger immediately if the mains disappears (maybe only if the
appropriate incantation is not provided beforehand).

>  If they can remove the flash disk, they've pretty
>effectively compromised the data
Alternatively, you store the data in volatile RAM.  That means the
attacker has to maintain power to the RAM whilst removing power from
the defenses/offenses.  EFTPOS PINpads normally have the DES key
stored in volatile RAM inside an epoxy blob with the power wires
woven through it to discourage copying.  (Against which, I've seen
an interesting article (maybe in comp.risks) about volatile RAM
having sufficient remanence to allow most of the key to be recovered
anyway).

Peter