Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 13:14:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/deskutils/genius - Imported sources

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Steve Price wrote:

> # Should this have been math/genius?
>
> bsd[~]$ cat /usr/ports/deskutils/pkg/COMMENT
> Things that used to be on the desktop before computers were invented.
>
> I'd say a calculator fits that description. :)  Though it
> does seems that their is a precedent for having it in math
> where calc, calctool, hexcalc, ... are, but the descritption
> there

Looking through the math category, the following programs have similar
functionality:

add
apc
calc
calctool
eval
hexcalc

add isn't X-based, and calc seems overgrown enough that it justifies being
called a true mathematical package. So it's a question of degrees; at what
point does something stop becoming a simple desktop utility and become a
mathematical calculation package?

What's more, deskutils contains two spreadsheet programs (abcus and teapot),
and math also contains spreadsheets. Spreadsheets don't have much
desktop-relevance, I'd say - they seem to apply more directly to the math
category.

Otherwise, by the "things which used to live on the desktop before computers"
definition, things like text editors, audio players, clocks, etc, should be
put here too.

If I was looking for a calculator, the math category would be the first place
I'd check..

Kris

> bsd[~]$ cat /usr/ports/math/pkg/COMMENT
> Mathematics.
>
> makes me think of things like blas and friends.  I'd be
> happy to move it to math or move all the ones from math
> to deskutils.  Doesn't matter much to me, though deskutils
> seemed a better place until your message. :-)
>
> -steve

-----
"That suit's sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde witticisms that's been
rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into
someone's eye"
"Wow, that's sharp!" - Ace Rimmer and the Cat, _Red Dwarf_