Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 95 10:01:56 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        aw2t+@andrew.cmu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: installing on a thinkpad 750

> >I'm trying to get FreeBSD-2.0 (or SNAP) to install on a Thinkpad 750 (I
> >need to get FreeBSD or NetBSD on here before friday).  I can get it to
> >boot using some modified NetBSD boot blocks that know how to deal with
> >36 sector floppies, but one it comes up the keyboard doesn't work.
> >Under NetBSD I had to remove the keyboard initialization code in
> >pccons to get the keyboard to work at all, and I couldn't get it working
> >with pcvt (I'm hung with NetBSD at another point now).  Has anyone done
> >this before?  Willing to help me out?
>
> The problem may be that the APM BIOS uses memory that it has reserved
> below 640K.  FreeBSD doesn't honor BIOS reserved memory.

This theory doesn't make sense.  The problem with it is that the BIOS
is not accessed after BSD boots, and BSD doesn't load into the BIOS
reserved area while the boot blocks are running before that.

APM was the main reason I have been steadfastly arguing for better
processer type identification and for non-overcommit in VM.

The BIOS is able to implement APM because it knows how to save and
restore processor internal registers.  Protected mode code knows the
same thing (thanks to "The Undocumented PC"), but since it is
processer specific, it requires better probing to implement.  Avoiding
memory overcommit in VM allows you to use existing VM structures
instead of allocating an otherwise unusable area of disk equal to
your real memory plus processor state.

Anyway, back to the keyboard.  The problem is that by default the
ThinkPad uses PS/2 scan code mode.

You can fix this by using an option and building a kernel, as shown
below.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---