Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 18:57:37 -0500
From:      T Norris <TNorris@aol.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't get FreeBSD cdrom to load

I just purchased the latest walnut creek FreeBSD 2.2.1.  After wasting
an embarrasing number of hours trying to get this supposedly easier to
install version of unix up and running, I am now begging for assistance.

I did not have any problem at all with Linux. Had it up and running in
only a few hours.  Naturally I wanted to try the "better and faster"
unix from FreeBSD.  Where's the better and faster??  I find no books at
my bookstore on FreeBSD installation amongst all the Linux books.  I
don't think that the folks at FreeBSD should bragg about how easy their
product is to install.

I would like to install from CD using my Toshiba IDE cdrom drive like I
did with Linux.  I first boot into FreeBSD from my cdrom.  Then I go
though the installation procedure, and even get all the IRQ conflicts
resolved and my disk drives to be recognized and partitioned the way I
want.  Then the install program gets to the point where I am actually
load the stuff from the cdrom.  Then I get the message that I suddenly
have no cdrom configured.  This is not good.

Please don't tell me that I won't be able to use my cd drive with
Free($50)BSD.  I thought I read somewhere that there is a IDE cd driver.
Is there, and how do I find it on the $50 walnut creek cdrom.