Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed secure-level 4 patch

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from Brian W. Buchanan, sie said:
> >
> > On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Frank Tobin wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, a good friend of mine Kris Wehner has written a patch to implement
> > > the proposed securelevel of 4, which would disallow the opening of
> > > secure ports (<1024) while in the securelevel of 4.  The patch is against
> > > 3.2-STABLE kernel, as of within 12 hours.  I'd like to hear more comments
> > > before I send it as a send-pr.  The patch is attached.
> >
> > Kris's patch blocks binding ports <= 1024, but 1024 is not a secure port.
> > The last one is 1023.
>
> Sigh, this appears to be a mis-use of "securelevel".  As securelevel
> increases, the system is supposed to be more secure - i.e. more functions
> are unavailable, even to root.
>
> Using a securelevel of -2 for this is `better', but it means your kernel
> must boot up with a securelevel of -1 (or less), init scripts change it
> to be >= 0 so that init raises it to (at least) 1 once they're all finished.

Huh?  I think you've responded to the wrong post.  The silly suggestion
about using securelevel -2 to let anyone bind ports was a few messages
back.   What the original poster was suggesting was to prevent even root
from binding privileged ports once securelevel 4 was set.

I'd totally agree with you on the -2 issue, but adding securelevel 4 which
the system can be raised to after root-owned processes have bound all the
privileged ports they need could be a useful thing to have.

--
Brian Buchanan                                     brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!                       http://www.freebsd.org

daemon(n): 1. an attendant power or spirit : GENIUS
           2. the cute little mascot of the FreeBSD operating system