Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 18:03:14 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV>
Cc:        jin@george.lbl.gov, bmah@california.sandia.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk naming problem

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, jin@george.lbl.gov wrote:
> >
> > This one does not resolve the controller problem either as
> > narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee said.
> >
> > So, I guess dac0t0, dac0t1, ...  dac3t4, will be good enough if we want
> > to be short, but anything shorter than this will be meaningless.
>
> Well...I personally prefer the short names.  On systems with multiple
> controllers, the commercial UNIX I used (Ultrix) just continued its
> numbering with rz0, rz1, rz2, ..., rz6, rz7, rz8, ...  FreeBSD lets you
> do exactly the same thing.
>
> Having long device names is confusing to users who only have one disk
> controller (and I'd bet this is the vast majority).  It took me a long

The vast majority has just one disk. Given the fast growth in disk sizes,
that majority will not decrease.

> time to grok the syntax of Solaris device names and I still get confused
> about this.  Commercial or free doesn't have anything to do with this
> issue...this scheme would force users to remember and type extra
> characters that many of them don't need.  (/dev/da0s1a is long enough,
> but /dev/dac0t0d0s1a is a little ridiculous for someone that has only
> one controller and one drive.)

If you want to *SOLVE* the problem, then make the disk wiring happen
before the kernel is booted. After all, we have a real cute boot loader
that can definately load the /boot/disk.wire file 8-)

The problem after all is *NOT* one of names but that disks not change
names unless the administrator wishes so. It doesn't matter the least how
we call them.

[snip]