Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:40:20 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
To:        Jacques Hugo <jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How large can the lpd spool be?

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Jacques Hugo wrote:

> Hi there ...
>
> If I print a .ps file to my print spooler that
> is maybe a bit too large, I get
>
> lpr: file.ps: copy file is too large
>
> The file gets queued, and then /dev/nulle'd.
> Can one make the spooler recieve larger
> print files, or does it have to be compiled
> into the kernel?
>
> Thanks
> -Jacques
>
> Network Administrator     | Jacques Hugo
> UNIX Systems              | jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za
> Cape Technikon            | +27-21-4603584

You may print such files without spooling. I use shell script "psprint":

********************************

#! /bin/sh
tmpfile=/tmp/$$.psprint
gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet3 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -r300 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sOutputFile=$tmpfile -
lpr -r -s -Psmbg $tmpfile

********************************

Flags -r and -s to lpr means (see man):
 -r      Remove the file upon completion of spooling or upon completion of
         printing (with the -s option).
 -s      Use symbolic links.  Usually files are copied to the spool direc-
         tory.  The -s option will use symlink(2) to link data files
         rather than trying to copy them so large files can be printed.
         This means the files should not be modified or removed until they
         have been printed.

Varshavchick Alexander, Metrocom Joint Stock Company
Phone: (812)118-3322, 314-8986(fax)