Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:14:42 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bt848 driver release 0.3

> A couple of hackers have reported success with Hauppages's
> WinCast/TV which is a Bt848 based video card. WinCast/TV is cheaper
> than the Intel card plus it has much better driver support in Win95.

I just wanted to echo that I just tried this new release of the driver
on a brand new WinCast/TVdbx (version with stereo audio), and it seems
to be working great with dtv.  I got the "deluxe" version at CompUSA
for $159.00; the non-stereo audio version was $129, I think.

I'm curious to try dtv the "old" way, with the video in a window done
the hard way.  I'd like to be able to watch the video, and hack away
on some code at the same time in another window.  The current version
using the DGA XFree86 extension sort of grabs the display away from
the X server for the duration.  I'm trying to figure out if it's
"safe" to create a window that's "always on top" and "sticky" (that
is, it moves with the view as you pan around on a desktop) and have
the video blasted into it, within the window frame.  I fear that I'm
gonna have to learn much more about how X works than I ever wanted
to..

I contacted the Brooktree people today, and I'm hoping that I'll get
some docs on the Bt848, as well as their hardware eval board which
looks to have the same sort of tuner assembly on it.  They have some
sample software for their hardware eval kit, and I'm hoping source
code which might include how to talk to the tuner over the I^2C bus.

louie