Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:08:00 +1100 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>
To:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: silly C style question

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Stephen McKay wrote:

> Imported from Basser Department of Computer Science, University of Sydney?
> Piers Lauder was mad keen on this diabolical but extremely logical indenting
> scheme.

Hmm, quite possible. I don't know where the proponents of this scheme
came from (it was developed 5-10 years ago), but given that we are in
Syndey that is quite possible. I think UniTas seemed to have a fairly
inconsistent style between the different lecturers, but vaguely Allman
style, or perhaps K&R.

> Example:
>
> 	if
> 	(
> 		(id->id_type == NULL)
> 		(
> 			(id->id_type->x_what == xt_arrayof)
> 			&&
> 			(item->x_left->x_what == xt_arrayof)
> 			&&
> 			(id->id_type->x_subtype == item->x_left->x_subtype)
> 			&&
> 			(id->id_type->x_flags & XIS_DIMLESS)
> 		)
> 	)

Yes, exactly, we alas sometimes have statements that are that complex.
The same dealing with hardware sometimes.

You know,

    reg =
    (
        (field1 << REG_FIELD1_SHFT)

        (field2 << REG_FIELD2_SHFT)

        (field3 << REG_FIELD3_SHFT)
    );

Names changed to protect the innocent (and my job).

Iain