Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 14:01:24 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
Cc:        Ashley Penney <ashp@unloved.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, msmith@mass.dis.org
Subject:   Re: PR handling..

> I think so too; I think perhaps neively on my part that it was only the
> job of the committers to deal with those problems, so your response is a
> bit of an eye opener (I haven't focussed much on the organisational
> structure of the project until now).

This is probably something we don't advertise enough; one of the most common
paths to committerdom is via recognition of work on PRs, either submitting
new ones with fixes, or taking old ones, solving the problems and updating
the PR.

Whether you write new PRs describing things you've fixed, diagnose
other peoples' PRs, or just march along saying "this one isn't reproducible
anymore, so it must have been fixed", you a) help the Project and b) get
yourself noticed.

> I wonder if my conceptualization is common, and if so maybe there are more
> people willing to pummel the committers with new code? I'll have to ask
> some general opinion questions about that.

I think it is; and certainly if you pummel the committers with new
code you're going to find yourself nominated to be on the receiving
end pretty quickly. 8)

 = Mike