Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:44:22 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@mag.ucsd.edu>
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High syscall overhead?

Bill Huey wrote:

> > Think of it like this:  since alot of desktops sit in idle loops much
> > of the time, perhaps the Linux philosophy has been to improve such
> > behavior :-).
>
> The Linux philosophy already has better performance and will also get
> you much stronger TCP/IP user land copy performance under SMP since
> it releases locks around the data copy.

The Linux philosophy has always been about simplistic cycle counting
exercises without understand whether the data had any meaning or not.
You've once again displayed your wholehearted participation in this
lack of understanding of what the data points might mean to any real-
world application.

> This certain is much better that the over simplistic single MP in
> FreeBSD, which has since been abandon in the Linux kernel.

And your deep understanding of the technical issues surrounding such
a change lends you the credence to declare it was "abandon", rather
that just "moved on from," right?

> But I guess technical denial works in the FreeBSD community.  ;-)

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this shithead just pole-
vaulted onto the top of my email "kill" list.  All noise, no content.
Bye, Bill.  It's been nice not knowing you.

In case you're wondering, I know a tiny bit about Linux SMP.  I was
helping debug support for SMP in LinuxPPC over the phone this week,
with one of the developers working on it.  I know very little about the
SMP support in Linux, but have had a fair amount of experience doing MP
work on RISC processors.  The engineer working on it needed a couple of
good, or even not-so-good questions to get him unstuck; I was happy to
provide a peanut gallery.  So, explain to me again about that "technical
denial" part.  Or, better yet, just fuck off and get the hell off our
list.  This is NOT an appropriate forum for Linux advocacy, which seems
to be all you can do.