Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:47:04 +0200
From:      Henri Hennebert <hlh@restart.be>
To:        Ingrid Ditra <ingriditra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: strange system corruption (freebsd 9.0)

On 04/20/2012 18:38, Ingrid Ditra wrote:
> Hi, folks!
> I am in the middle of really creepy problem with my new FreeBSD box. I would appreciate any ideas about what the hell happened.
>
> I've installed FreeBSD 9.0 from CD on IBM System x3550 server (with RAID-5 on 4 hard drives) and moved on it the most of config's from my old FreeBSD (8.2) box, and everything seemed working fine for some days. Long story short, today I realised, that I can't login nether through ssh or console, some third-party soft doesn't work, and most of utilities from base system doesn't work too.
> My /usr/sbin and /usr/libdata are completely gone, /usr/libexec is empty, /usr/bin contains only dtrace dir and librt.so.1 many files from /usr/bin are gone, /usr/src contains only directory with my kernconf (there was all sources) and /usr/ports contains only ports I've installed.
> Time of access to all deleted or semi-deleted dirs is almost the same,
Do you look carefully in /var/log/cron for this same time ?

Another thought, give you filesystem layout.

  but I didn't find any weird actions in logs. First, I thought that
portsnap (runned by cron) somehow corrupted my system, but it was
executed like eight hours earlier.
> No one but me has access to this box, so it's unlikely mean joke.
This system is connected to the internet ? http server ? if so check the
logs

> So, please, please, help me. I really do not know what I suppose to do now. I can't find out why this happened, so it would be useless just reinstall system -- I'll have this situation again. All this stuff repeated twice

Same time, day of the week ?

-- so it is not kind of glitch (last time a cvsuped sources and ports
and thought it was the reason of crash).
Maybe I'm not helpful but you feel less lonely ...