Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:29:20 +0930
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lament about freebsd sacrifices

--/e2eDi0V/xtL+Mc8

[Moved to -chat]

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:36:05AM -0700, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> I thought I would post this as something of a warning.  Using
> FreeBSD as a primary, non-dual-boot OS means sacrificing.  Here is a
> partial list of sacrifices, as compared to Microsoft Windows XP:
>
> * webcam ball
> * flatbed scanner
> * color printer
> * digital cameras
> * firewire devices
> * several USB 1 and 2 devices
> * IM software features such as voice and video chat
> * websites that use ActiveX (Windows) controls
> * MP3 devices
>
> Any major sacrifices I've forgotten?  ":-\

Yes, several.  When I use FreeBSD, I really miss things like:

* Paying for the operating system
* Having to re-boot the machine every time I install a driver or apply
  an update patch
* Being susceptible to all the latest malware
* Having that great Registry for all my system configuration
  information

--=20
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net