Date:      Fri, 20 May 2016 14:30:39 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reorganization of the py-sqlalchemy ports

On 19/05/2016 16:55, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 18/05/2016 23:04, Olivier Duchateau wrote:
>>> I'm proposing the following:

>> I wonder, why to create as many SQLAlchemy ports as releases (it's just an ORM after all).
>> The easiest way, imho is focusing on 1.0.x releases, and having only one port databases/py-sqlalchemy.
>
> This is the conservative approach.  It may well be the case that
> everything that depends on sqlalchemy can perfectly well just use the
> latest version, in which case the number of ports can be reduced.
>
> However we don't know how compatible the different versions are yet, and
> it will take some time and experimentation to work it out.  In the mean
> time, having this many ports will provide some assurance of compatibility.

Personally I am just starting to look at sqlalchemy so can't comment on
the compatibility between versions.

Having a look at bsdstats.org they show port install numbers of

py27-sqlalchemy    9
py27-sqlalchemy06  147
py27-sqlalchemy08  1

It may be worth considering keeping 0.6 for compatibility and drop 0.7,
0.8, 0.9

As we currently have 0.6, 0.7, and 0.8 I would skip adding 0.9 and just
add 1.0

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler