Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:41:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems booting an AS1200

Michael Richards writes:
 > Hi everyone.
 >
 > I can't seem to get this AS1200 machine to boot.
 > It's a dual 533mhz with 256mb of RAM. It has an Adaptec 2940UW
 > controller in it and a SCSI CD-ROM on the internal (symbios???)
 > controller.
 >
 > So far I've tried 4.2 and 5.0-CURRENT Jan 26th snapshot. Here is a
 > sample of what I get:
 > FreeBSD/alpha SRM disk boot, Revision 1.1
 > (jkh@beast.freebsd.org, Fre Jan 26 17:54:36 GMT 2001)
 > Memory: 262144 k
 > /
 > cb_open: failed DVA 0 1000 0 0 0 8086 002 dva0.0.0.1000.0
 >
 > I get similar results with 4.2 booting from a CD.
 >
 > Any ideas?

The 1200 is part of the "rawhide" family of machines.  Our bootloader
provokes bugs in the console firmware of the rawhide (or vice versa)
and prevents the machine from booting FreeBSD via floppy or CD-ROM
devices.

One workaround is to dd the contents of the boot.flp (2.8MB) floppy to
a scsi disk and boot from that.  Another option is to install FreeBSD
using a different type of alpha and move the disk after the
installation.

Your situation is slightly more complex because you have an Adaptec
2940 SCSI controller.  I don't think the SRM console will boot from
that device (though FreeBSD supports it).  It will only boot from
drives listed by the ">>>show dev" command.  Controllers which should
work include Qlogic and NCR/LSI/SYMbios controllers.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/release/texts/alpha/HARDWARE.TXT?rev=1.22.2.43&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
for more details.

I strongly suggest you do not run 5.0 on this box right now.

Drew