Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:44:24 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: malloc backed md/mfs filesystem swapped?

At 00:56 14/02/2004, Robert Watson wrote:
>If you
>have swap available, you pretty much always want to use swap-backing for
>memory disks -- if there's room in memory they will run as fast as
>malloc-backed, but you don't have to be as worried about the "Oh shoot,
>I'm out of room" case.

   Actually, there is one consideration: swap-backed memory disks have a
sector size equal to the machine page size.  This will result in some
inflation in memory usage, and can confuse program which expect a sector
size of 512 bytes (for example, dd, which I plan on fixing but I haven't
gotten around to yet).

Colin Percival