Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:03:49 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Soren Harward <soren@cinternet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *really* slow login times

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 12 April 1999 at 12:17:41 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Soren Harward wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon 12 Apr 1999 at 11:38:25, Doug White muttered:

> >> Except it happens when I try to log in locally too.
> >
> > ... it'll try to reverse it's own name, I think.
>
> Have you tried it?  It doesn't.  Anyway, one of the symptoms here was
> that it works fine initially and then slows down after about 24 hours.
>
> Greg

I have had a slow login problem on my FreeBSD system that varied with
time. It also varied depending on what machine I tried to telnet or
ftp from. The one static computer in the group was always fast. Then I
saw this message tonight and something clicked. I had seen comments
about reverse DNS before and they didn't mean anything until tonight
when I read this message. I dropped DHCP on the workstations and went
static. The login to FreeBSD from the NT workstation was just as fast
as from the NT server. I can telnet and ftp to all of the servers from
both Unix and NT.

Thanks,

Kent

> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html