Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2021 19:56:20 +0200
From:      "Hartmann, O." <o.hartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/git: Git via Apache 2.4 HTTPS - info/refs not valid: could not determine hash algorithm

--Sig_/4uxtILCT/N/E9m.QE7DHrV_

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:42:28 +0200
Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:08:19 +0200
> "Hartmann, O." <ohartmann@walstatt.org> wrote:
>=20
> > What am I missing here?
> >  =20
> The man page of git-http-backend has an apache2 example[0].
> Also, the top answer to this stackoverflow question might give you a
> hint: https://stackoverflow.coo-set-up-git-over-http
>=20
> Best,
> Michael
>=20
> [0]https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dgit-http-backend&apropos=
=3D0&sektion=3D0&manpath=3DFreeBSD+12.2-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=3Ddefault&fo=
rmat=3Dhtml
>=20
>=20

Hello Michael,

thanks for responding.
The first tip I came across was the Stackoverflow HowTo - whatever I did an=
d do, it
doesn't work. I also tried the several variants shown in [0], starting with=
 the simplest
towards more complex ones.

Following strictly the reference at=20

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26734933/how-to-set-up-git-over-http

with minor local adaptions (for FreeBSD and the Git base folder), even with=
 anonymous
access allowed the failure is the same as with some Basic authentication vi=
a LDAP.

As decribed in my initial email: first access with a "git push -u origin ma=
ster" is
logged by Apache with 401, requesting credentials. If provided, the line
(httpd-access.log):

xx.xx.xx.xx - USERNAME [29/Mar/2021:17:44:55 +0000] "GET \
/git/test.git/info/refs?service=3Dgit-upload-pack HTTP/1.1" 200 1689032 "-"=
 "git/2.31.0" \
323 1691601

status code 200 indicates OK - so authetication is all right and I should p=
roceed, but I
get on the client

fatal: https://[url]/git/test.git/info/refs not valid: could not
determine hash algorithm; is this a git repository?

On both sides, I had disabled sslVerify (due to self signed cert issue with=
 git, another
pitfall) and according to stackoverflow howto, hooks are also prepared and =
the root
folder and its subsequent folders /pool/gitbase (PROJECT_ROOT) is owned by =
www:www and
has ACL 0775 set.

And this is why it gets desperate to me ...

Kind regards,

O. Hartmann

--Sig_/4uxtILCT/N/E9m.QE7DHrV_

--Sig_/4uxtILCT/N/E9m.QE7DHrV_--