Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:55:27 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        ume@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, ume@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/29831: Fix port sysutils/gkrellm

On 2001.08.19 09:21 ume@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
> Synopsis: Fix port sysutils/gkrellm
>
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-ports->ume
> Responsible-Changed-By: ume
> Responsible-Changed-When: Sun Aug 19 09:18:09 PDT 2001
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> Because I'm the maintainer of GKrellM.
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem here on my 4.4-RC1 boxes.
> I believe GKrellM itself doesn't call any DES related functions.
> I have no idea why libcipher is requiered.
> In anyway, thank you for your report.
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=29831

It doesn't.  This is the same "problem" as reported in ports/29112.  It
looks to me that because of the way libc/libc_r is linked into these ports,
and because libc/libc_r appear to carry stubs for the DES cipher functions,
one ends up with "dangling" unresolved linkages from libc/libc_r to these
cipher functions which really reside in libcipher.

Thus, I believe the warning messages issued by "ld" are spooking people
(perhaps unnecessarily?).  YMMV.

jmc