Date:      Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:37:04 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>
To:        Jacques Fourie <jf@trispen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pre-loaded mfsroot size and FreeBSD 4.9 with 4G RAM

Jacques Fourie wrote:

> I have installed 6.0-RELEASE and the behaviour is still the same. If I try
> to pre-load an md_image of 64M with 4G of RAM installed, the kernel panics
> early in the boot cycle. Here is the panic on 6.0-RELEASE:
>
> 131072K of memory above 4GB ignored

This is a kind of stupid question but is there any chance that the 64MB
image overlaps with the PCI address hole? To elaborate: with
4GB memory installed there would be no address range to access the
memory-mapped 32-bit PCI cards. So the motherboard circuitry
relocates some amount of memory (the 128MB shown above) from
some lower address to above 4GB and frees this address space below
4GB for mapping of the PCI cards. So the interesting question
is: what is the address of this PCI hole and what is the loading
address of the FreeBSD md_image? If they overlap then naturally
a part of the image would go into nowhere and cause a panic.

On my machine this PCI hole can be disabled in BIOS (I think so,
there is also some kind of configuration in BIOS but I did
not pay much attention to it as I don't have 4GB).

-SB