Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:10:49 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>, "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashed X-server

Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> > > bits.  Mike, if you are experiencing hard crashes, I am curious if you
> > > are using 24bpp or 8/32?
> > >
> > > --
> > > bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/
> > >

> > I am using an ATI Mach64 card with 2MB, at 16bpp.  I have had similar
> > lockups with an old Trident 8900C at 8bpp.  The ATI will work at 24bpp in
> > 800x600, but 1024x768 is beyond it (and/or my monitor), as far as I can
> > tell.
>
> Well, I can discount the video card/server combo since this is what I
> have.

Well, I can un-discount it because that is what I have :-).  Ever since
XFree86 3.1.2 or so, I've been getting a screwed up color map when I try
to run at 1280x1024/8bpp.  When I drop down to 800x600/16bpp, it works
fine.  The fun part is that when I'm in the problem mode, I can get kernel
panics talking about "recursive_lock" problems on the first or second
attempts to start the server.  This has been with various combinations of
XF86 from (3.1.2, 3.2, 3.2A, 3.3) and OS (2.1.5, 2.2.1, 2.2.2).  I would
really love to get back to the higher resolution, but I have no idea how
to get there from here.  My only guess is that the probe is
mis-identifying something or some such, but the chip numbers it finds
seems to match chips that I find on my video card.

> If it happens w/ another board, perhaps we need to dig a bit deeper: do
> you know what motherboard you have?

All I can remember now (my system is at home & I'm not) is that it's an
P90 on an Asus MB running Award BIOS 4.50PG (or something close to that).

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org