Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:20:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        reichert@numachi.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: open PR WRT syslogd vs. serial consoles

On  5 Jan, Brian Reichert wrote:
> I'm chasing down a syslogd problem on a 3.4-R box, only to discover
> that I'm being bit (still!) by a PR I submitted two years ago:
>
>   <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=8865>;
>
> I'm responsible for a wad of machines hanging off of a terminal server.
>
> - I wanted syslog messages reported to the console, for revealing
>   critical errors.
>
> - Due to cabling and the terminal server itself, using Big Digi
>   hardware, I need to have getty running off of cuaa0, not ttyd0.
>
> Apparently, in three versions of FreeBSD, this is _still_ a problem.
>
> Does anyone have any insight on this?

Given the nature of the problem and other priorities,
I would say you might need to fix it yourself. :-)
I'm not saying this to be spitefull, but it looks like
since not enough people are running this type of setup,
not enough people are complaining.

Your best bet would be to write the people who have
tried to fix this and ask what can be done.
BTW, you can see all open/suspend/feedback needed
PR reports. Another strategy is to check with people
encountering simliar problems (ie serial and syslog).

				Best of Luck,
				Jessem.