Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16210: please add symlink glib-config -> glib12-config

The following reply was made to PR ports/16210; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To: van.woerkom@netcologne.de, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:31:23 -0600

 On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 03:20:08AM -0800, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

 >  While we are at it - if there should be no generic version
 >  of gtk-config or glib-config, wouldn't it be nicer to
 >  put a short information script in $PREFIX/bin like it has
 >  been done in case of tclsh that says something like
 >  "sorry, be more specific about version"?

 This would cause more problems than it solves.  Unlike tclsh and wish,
 both "glib-config" and "gtk-config" are not particularly meant to
 be run by a human being, rather they're used primarily in configure
 scripts.

 In this situation, it's far better to have the configure process fail
 (and then be patched to do the right thing) than be confused by
 seemingly "helpful messages".

 -aDe

 --
 Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.