Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:12:46 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upcoming release schedule - 8.4 ?

All
 I have an partial solution to this issue I was thinking about this on
my morning train ride, so its a bit bumpy.

Here are my solutions they are not complete but I think its a good start.

1. When official errata and security updates hit the tree . Providing
updated install media could be step one . Maybe rebuild install media
periodical say every 3 months, if it warrants it.

2. Change FreeBSD-update to allow you to select what updates you want,
and make it work for stable. Simply put think "freebsd-update fetch
stable kernel" or " freebsd-update fetch release base"

3. Change FreeBSD-update  to tweak a library so the -pN level is not
hardcoded into the kernel at compile time. Currently FreeBSD's patch
or "p level -pN " is a newvers.sh function .

4. Publish a longer time line for future releases and make it easier
to find.  While ken smith's email about the 9.1-RELEASE time line was
a good start , for 9.1,I feel that a short general time line on
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/ would do a world of good for people
want to know whats up next and when can I expect it. It does not need
to be exact just a rough estimate.

The sum total of all of this , in my eyes, is when updated drivers ( I
know its a still a wish and not reality ) , bug fixes , security
updates are released , new installs done around that time will start
out with all of the good bits. Secondly when new updates are released
users can apply base updates and kernel updates to both release and
stable as needed. Lastly updates released via this new method would be
easily checked via uname -a  or maybe " freebsd-update show version"

Fire away.

---
 Mark Saad | mark.saad@longcount.org