Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:36:58 -0400
From:      "Allen, Eric" <AllenEr@nabisco.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Booting from my hard drive

To whom it may concern,

I attempted to install FreeBSD this weekend from the CDs.  I couldn't seem
to get the partitioning utility (FIPS? - I'm on the road now so I don't have
the PC or Docs in front of me) to come up on my machine so I used DOS-FDISK.
This wiped out my hard drive and I was prepared for that and went to my
backups.  In order to restore my DOS/Window's 3.1 data I booted from a
floopy reformatted the DOS partition and copied the data to it.  My machine
still won't boot from the C: drive though.  On the FreeBSD front, I went
through the installation process and at the very end it failed because it
couldn't recognize the CD.  However, the BootManager seemed to have loaded
because when I turn the machine on (with no boot floopy) I get a choice "1
for DOS and 2 for BSD" it's when I hit 1 the machine doesn't seem to go
anywhere.  I expected it to try to boot from the DOS C: partition.

Can you help?  I will spend more time with the BSD/CD and the manual.  The
DOS C: boot issue has me stumped though.  Please send me any suggestions you
may have.  My company is talking anounced potential layoffs today so I need
to get my PC up to work on my resume.

Thanks,
Eric Allen