Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:57:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        yacoben@FNAL.GOV
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Support for Buslogic's Flashpoint LT SCSI card

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:26:00 -0500 (CDT) Kevin Yacoben said:

>Does anyone know the status of any support for the Buslogic's
>Flashpoint LT SCSI card???
>I have read all of the past posting and have found little
>to indicate that there is any effort in the FreeBSD community to support
>these cards. What I did find were suggestions that ranged from upgrading
>to a supported card to going out and purchasing new supported hardware!!!
>Hmmmmm, is it just me or does this sound a bit like a Microsoft
>solution!! Well using that logic I guess I could go out and get an OS that
>supports these cards, like Linux, Solarisx86, SCO, OS2 or even (ugggggg)
>NT!

Kevin,

I can't answer your question, but I would like to point out that there
are reasons why certain pieces of hardware don't have drivers for them.
It's simply the fact that FreeBSD is a _volunteer_ effort.  Outside of
a _very_ few devices, drivers are created because someone volunteers to
write and has the device in question. If a device isn't supported, it's
usually because the _volunteers_ who write device drivers either 1) don't
have the device in question, 2) someone who has the card can't/won't
write one, 3) no one has loaned one to a driver writer, 4) the
manufactuer refues to let technical data out unless you're M$ or Sun$oft,
or finally 5) nobody has found the time to do it.

By the by, the Micro$oft solution would be to get the manufacturer to
let M$ have first scoop on information about the device...

John		(Who would volunteer, but can't find any free time now...)

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting