Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 1995 12:34:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@vt.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   more than 2 IDE drives?

This is on FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 RELEASE

I have an extra 130MB IDE drive that I'd like to "give" to FreeBSD.
Problem is, I already have 2 IDE drives in the system.  But, I do have 2
IDE controllers (one is a PCI controller, the other is one of those
IDE-multi-function-wonder cards that does serial/parallel/game/floppy
in addition to IDE.  The existing 2 IDE drives are connected to the PCI
controller, which uses addresses 0x1f0 - 0x1f7 (according to dmesg)
which is expected.  It's also configured to INT A, which is mapped to
system IRQ 15.

Now, on the ISA IDE controller, I've set it so that it uses IRQ 14
(which is unused), and to the secondary memory address, 0x170 - 0x177
I know the card behaves properly because if I unplug the PCI card and
boot FreeBSD (which lives on sd0) it recognizes the controller as wdc1,
at 0x170 and irq 14.  I can then access the disk.

The problem occurs when I plug in the two cards together - FreeBSD
*always* sees the PCI card and *never* sees the ISA card.  It reports

wdc0 at ....
wdc1 not found at 0x170

during bootup.  I've tried almost every combination of IRQ's, addresses,
etc that I can think of to no avail.  Has anyone successfully done this
before?  It may be worth mentioning that I have a Phoenix BIOS which
does not support more than 2 fixed disks.  I was under the impression
that this won't matter under FreeBSD (although it would under DOS).  Is
this correct?   I know I can't boot off the disk, but I don't need to.

Even if I only include a line in the kernel config file like this:

controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr

and no line for the PCI controller, it still doesn't see the ISA
controller, giving the "not found at 0x...." message.  It also doesn't
find the PCI controller (which isn't surprising, but...)  I suppose it's
worth asking here also if there's a specific line for a PCI IDE
controller in the kernel config file, as opposed to the standard one for
an ISA controller.
--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@vt.edu