Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:48:07 +0800
From:      Stephen Liu <satimis@icare.com.hk>
To:        RoKlein@roklein.de
Cc:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chinese input (using xcin) and OpenOffice on FreeBSD

Hi Robert,

FreeBSD 5.2
OpenOffice 1.1.0
KDE 3.1.4
Xcin25

Lot of thanks for your detailed post.

I have been trying for more than a week to add Chinese editing function to OOo
1.1.0 without result.  Some of the steps on your advice described below have
already been done but still I could not get 'Chinese editing' to work.  I
will work through your advice step by step again to find out the mistake
committed by me and/or steps omitted by me previously in anticipation that
other subscribers can be benefitted in reading this post.

Relevant packages already installed as follows;

Installed packages :-
fontconfig-2.2.90_3
ttmkfdir-0.0_1
zh-arphicttf-2.11_1
zh-libtabe-0.2.5_1
zh-kcfonts-1.05
zh-ttfm-0.9.5
zh-xcin-2.5.3.p2_3
zh-zhcon-0.2.3_1
zh_TW-kde-i18n-3.1.4

- snip -

> The command
> 	pkg_info -I '*openoff*'
> results in:

I downloaded OOo1.1.0 tarball from OO website and extracted it to
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/

Afterwards setup
/usr/home/user/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/

- snip -

> Due to dependencies you might get more than one package installed.  Three
> of those packages are from the "Chinese" section of the ports:
>
> zh-xcin-2.5.3.p2_3  Chinese input method server under X
> zh-libtabe-0.2.5_1  Unified library for Chinese text processing
> zh-kcfonts-1.05     Kuo Chauo Chinese Fonts collection

# pkg_info | grep zh-xcin
zh-xcin-2.5.3.p2_3  Chinese input method server under X
# pkg_info | grep zh-libtabe
zh-libtabe-0.2.5_1  Unified library for Chinese text processing
# pkg_info | grep zh-kcfonts
zh-kcfonts-1.05     Kuo Chauo Chinese Fonts collection

They were already installed.

> Now, you probably want a nice font for display and printing in OpenOffice.
> Install the Arphic fonts using the following command:
> 	pkg_add -r zh-arphicttf
>
> This installs:
> zh-arphicttf-2.11_1 Four Chinese Big5/GB TrueType fonts made by Arphic
> Technolo

pkg_info | grep zh-arphicttf
zh-arphicttf-2.11_1 Four Chinese Big5/GB TrueType fonts made by Arphic
Technolo

zh-arphicttf-2.11_1 has already been installed

> To use those fonts under X Windows you have to tell X where they are.
> Using pkg_info -L zh-arphicttf-2.11_1
> I find out, they are installed in the directory
> 	usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/
> (not where you'd expect...).

pkg_info -L zh-arphicttf-2.11_1
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/bkai00mp.ttf
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/bsmi00lp.ttf
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/gbsn00lp.ttf
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/gkai00mp.ttf
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/license/BIG5/ARPHICPL.DOC
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/license/BIG5/ARPHICPL.TXT
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/license/ENGLISH/ARPHICPL.DOC
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/license/ENGLISH/ARPHICPL.TXT
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/license/GB/ARPHICPL.DOC
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/license/GB/ARPHICPL.TXT
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/logo.gif
/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/arphic/release.txt

> Now you'll have to alter the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  Add the line
> 	FontPath    "/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType"
> to the "Files" section.

Already added it to /etc/X11/XF86Config

cat /etc/X11/XF86Config
Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/"

> Additionally you'll have to activate the "truetype" part of XFree.  To do
> this please add the line
> 	Load "freetype"
> to the "Module" section if it isn't already there.

I missed this step previously

ee /etc/X11/XF86Config
now added        Load  "freetype"   to Module section

cat /etc/X11/XF86Config
Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "speedo"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"

Gave a hard stroke afterwards by pressing  <Ctrl + Alt + Backstorke>

> I think you also have to do something else, like doing a ttmkfdir or so.
> Don't remember right now, best to loog for "truetype X11 install" on google
> (without the quotes, of course..)
>
> But be that as it may...  You don't need that for OpenOffice, if I recall
> correctly.

I went across the above before on another document and could not recall.
Anyways I will search it later.

What will be the use of ttmkfdir

> Anyways, _if_ you get the fonts installed in X11 you can do the following
> to get Chinese input in almost any program.  Enter the following commands
> in your favourite xterm, running bash or sh:
>
> 	XMODIFIERS=@im=xcin
> 	LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5
> 	export XMODIFIERS
> 	export LC_CTYPE
> 	/usr/X11R6/bin/xcin2.5 &

$ XMODIFIERS=@im=xcin
$ LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5
$ export XMODIFIERS
$ export LC_CTYPE
$ /usr/X11R6/bin/xcin2.5 &
$ XCIN (Chinese XIM server) version 2.5.3-pre2.
(module ver: 20010918, syscin ver: 20000210).
(use "-h" option for help)

xcin: locale "zh_TW.Big5" encoding "big5"
xcin: warning: invalid font BIG5-0.
xcin: error: fontset setting error.

xcin failed to start.

Furthermore can I add

* * * * *
XMODIFIERS=@im=xcin
LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5
export XMODIFIERS
export LC_CTYPE
/usr/X11R6/bin/xcin2.5 &
* * * * *

/etc/rc.conf
to start xcin automatically at boot

> For testing you can start, say, kedit.  In the kedit window press
> CTRL-SPACE to start chinese input.  You can cycle through the
> different input methods using CTRL-SPACE.

On kedit window <Ctrl + Shift> did not start Chinese input

> You can adjust the input method xcin starts with in the file
>
> 	/usr/X11R6/etc/xcinrc

Noted with thanks.  I will test it after 'xcin' started

> Note: the first input method used by default is called cj in the xcinrc
> file. This may be the "congji" you (Stephen) mentioned in one mail.

Noted.  I will test it after 'xcin' started

> OpenOffice

- snip -

> Ok, let's continue.  The font installation is also described in the
> OpenOffice setup guide (page 58 in the German version, page 67 in the
> English version).  In short, after starting spadmin you click on "fonts",
> then on "Add". In the "Add fonts" dialog enter the directory of the Arphic
> fonts, "/usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType".  When the list of fonts appears,
> click "Select All".  Check the "Create soft links only" to avoid extra
> copies of the fonts in your home directory.  Now click "Ok".

I have done this step already, following fonts appearing on the drop-list

AR PL KaitiM Big5
AR PL KaitiM GB
AR PL Mingti2L Big5
AR PL SungtiL GB

> Now you can configure OpenOffice to default to those fonts.
>
> Stat OpenOffice, enter the Tools->Options menu. There, under
> "Language Settings" and then "Languages" enable Asian language support.
>
> Now look under "Text Document".
>
> If there is _no_ "folder" named "Basic Fonts (Asian)" close OpenOffice and
> start it again. Go again to "Tools->Options" and "Text Document".
>
> Now go to "Basic Fonts (Asian)".  There you can enter your default fonts
> for Chinese input.  I prefer a setting "AR PL KaitiM Big5"
> for all Fonts, except "Heading" which I set to "AR PL Mingti2L Big5".
>
> (Ok, I usually use simplified fonts....  )

I have done the above steps already.  The remaining  problem is 'xcin' can
start

> "What are those packages for?"
>
> p5-Encode-HanConvert-0.28: looks like a perl module to assist conversion
> between Traditional and Simplified Chinese texts
>
> zh-hc-3.0: Yes, it can convert Documents from simplified to traditional and
> vice versa.  It is a text mode tool, though and has no graphical user
> interface.
>
> zh-moettf-2.0_1: Yes, it is a collection of traditional Chinese fonts.  The
> collection is fram the Taiwan Ministry of Education (In the US this would
> be called the "Department of...", I suppose).
>
> zh-dictd-database-1.4: It is a dictionary database to be used with zh-dictd
> (see www.dict.org for more information about dict).

Noted with thanks.

> PS: forget about the "fonts" package installed by xcin.  I think it is
> solely used by xcin to display the xcin window...

I could not find them after installation completed and have no idea where they
have been installed.

B.Regards
Stephen