Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:40:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is my drive bad?

Hi, I have the following drive exhibiting the following problems, and was
wondering if the drive is bad, like I suspect.  Here is the drive:

wd2: 1040MB (2130912 sectors), 2114 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

And, here is what happens when I try to mount the drive:
wd2c: reverting to PIO mode writing fsbn 0 of 0-15 (wd2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn
0)wd2
: status 71<rdy,wrtflt,seekdone,err> error 4<abort>
wd2c: hard error writing fsbn 0 of 0-15 (wd2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)wd2:
status 71
<rdy,wrtflt,seekdone,err> error 4<abort>
wd2c: reverting to non-multi sector mode writing fsbn 0 of 0-15 (wd2 bn 0;
cn 0
tn 0 sn 0)wd2: status 71<rdy,wrtflt,seekdone,err> error 4<abort>

I manage to get a couple of those, depending on what partition I try and
mount.  The drive was on a machine about 6 months ago running 2.2, and I
am trying to mount the partitions on a 3.0 machine.  Also, attempting to
use /stand/sysinstall instead of doing disklabel/newfs by hand results in
the errors above and sysinstall exiting.  The reason I am asking if the
drive is going bad is because all partitions on it pass a fsck.  Any
ideas?

Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Network Systems Group
7600 Boone Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN 55428
mesteka@anubis.network.com, mestery@winternet.com

"You do not greet Death, you punch him in the throat
repeatedly until he drags you away."	--No Fear