Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:37:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   command-line vat/like program

Hi,

this message is to ask for suggestions etc.

There is some work in progress to build a vat/rat-like program with
a simple command line interface, for those who don't want to fire
X and Tk/Tcl to do simple internet telephony.

In my view, this program should not do everything vat/rat does, but
has two main applications:
  - be usable for "broadcast" applications e.g. where one wants to
    send (or receive) audio from a box without having to fire vat;

    taking this to the extreme, one could even think of putting the
    program in MFS on a bootable floppy (maybe with ppp...)
    to do simple internet telephony...

  - be as easy to use as a telephone, especially for point-to-point
    communications, so that one can possibly use it even without a
    screen, just a keyboard and the audio device (i.e. feedback comes
    through the headset, as in a telephone.)

I and others already have some working code, which already
interoperates with vat, and turns out to be quite small:

    prova# ls -l tel.tgz
	-rw-rw-r--  1 luigi  wheel  5156 Nov 25 18:13 tel.tgz
    prova# size tel
    text    data    bss     dec     hex
    12288   4096    63776   80160   13920

I am calling for suggestions on two things:

  * what would you like the program to do ?

    remember that the program should remain small, so I am not too
    keen on including all the fancy stuff that vat does; e.g. RTCP
    support will be minimal, mixing different sources might not be
    implemented, etc.

    Among things I have in mind:
    - telephone-like commands, e.g.
	d	dial
	h	hangup
	r	record
	p	play a file

    - select source between mic, line and some audio file
      (so one can play previous recordings);
    - record conversations;
    - look names in a database so I can simply type
	d luigi
      to connect to luigi's "tel"phone (ip address/port are in a database)

  - what should be its name ?

    I have used the name "tel" for the first prototipe, which suggests
    the functionality (telephone) and is short to type. Surprisingly no
    app that I know is using this name, and hopefully nobody will be
    able to register the "tel" trademark and then sue us for improper
    usage of the name (see the recent issue on games...)

    There are of course alternatives, one could be
	aat	(ascii audioconferencing tool)

    and in general i would go for a short and simple-to-type name.

Feedback appreciated, and if someone has already some code like this,
or wants to help in this effort, I'll be glad to cooperate.

[P.S. sources for the current version of "tel" should be available in a
couple of days once I have debugged GSM operation and possibly added
LPC support]

	Cheers
	Luigi