Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:00:00 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Chris <chrismar@readington.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linking problems

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Chris wrote:

> Hi folks, I seem to be having problems compiling on 3.1-stable.
> the compile seems to go fine, however it seems to fail when it begins to
> link.  An example would be:
> gcc -o aim -O -pipe `gtk-config --cflags` -elf aim.o buddy.o toc.o im.o
> conversation.o buddy_chat.o html.o prefs.o sound.o about.o `gtk-config --libs`
> /usr/local/lib/libgtk.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized

What happens when you do "file /usr/local/lib/libgtk.so*"?  It seems it
may be an a.out library, whic your build is using the elf loader (and your
elf /usr/lib libraries).

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer