Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:09:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom ServerWorks HT-1000 support in OpenBSD

Mike Jakubik writes:
 > It seems like OpenBSD 3.9 has support for the HT-1000 IDE/SATA chipset,
 > and we are still missing it. Is there any way to port their code over?
 > There are a few nice motherboards out there that use this chipset (most
 > amd server boards use the crappy nvidia chipset and the accompanying
 > crappy network card).

Why do you call the Nvida chipset "crappy"?   I assume you don't care
about the PCI Express bandwidth of the accompanying "northbridge"?

>From a performance standpoint, the Nvida chipset is far from crappy,
and can easily sustain 10GbE speeds for both send and receive, as well
as send+receive at the same time.  Our lab tests have shown well over
18Gb/s for send+receive using our PCI-e x8 10GbE card in an Nvidia
CK804 based opteron.

For any application which is moving a lot of data using PCI-e cards on
an opteron, I would strongly recommend Nvidia based servers.

Drew