Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 20:59:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
To:        ade@lovett.com, adhir@worldbank.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor root device oddity

Yes, I saw this as well. Here's a temporary workaround until the
patch makes it into the suppository:

1. Boot off kernel, single user
2. Mount everything: mount -a -t ufs
   (ignore the spooge about the root disk and fsck.)
3. TMPDIR=/var/tmp
   TEMPDIR=/var/tmp
   export TMPDIR TEMPDIR
4. Edit your configuration, change 'sd0a' to 'sd0s2a', and recompile
   your kernel.
5. mount /dev/sd0s2a /mnt
6. chflags noschg /mnt/kernel
7. install -c -m 555 -o root -g wheel -fschg kernel /mnt
8. reboot

You should be right as rain afterwards, insulated from the current
madness. Righteous burr under the saddle. Someone should have put
out a bright neon sign e-mail two weeks before they checked this in.

Possibly the low SNR in the current "Let's beat on Terry's stackable
FS idea" caused me to miss it.

--
Scott Michel                        | In life, there are sheep and there are
UCLA Computer Science		    | wolves.