Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:01:03 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mike@sentex.net, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Multiple vendor 'Taylor UUCP' problems.

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 06:23:04PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> I fail to see the cited evidence I'm asking for.  Hand-waving I can
> have for free.

The uucp suite has the ability to specify an alternate configuration
file on the command-line (Andrey tells me this is a commonly used
feature :-( ) Using configuration file options they can be made to
execute arbitrary commands as the uucp user.  The uucp user owns the
uucp binaries in question.  uustat is executed by default by root in
/etc/periodic.

There are other consequences of the underlying vulnerability (full
read/write access to the /var/spool/uucp directories, for example), so
preventing the uucp user from overwriting the binaries (with the schg
flag) only fixes the most serious of the side-effects.

Kris

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH--