Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:18:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD off of CDROM

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Dave Hayes wrote:

> I was asked recently if it was possible to run a FreeBSD server
> entirely off of CDROM. Now I know that things like /var need to be
> writable, and that the initial question as worded was rather naive.
> However, modulo writable filesystems which can be mounted separately,
> has anyone ever done something like this?

Well, it should be doable.  I have something similar in spirt -- pxe
booted (network booted that is, if you dont know pxe) boxes that get their
entire OS from a nfs mount that is read-only.  Fairly early in the boot, I
have some rc stuff that does mount_mfs for /var and /tmp so I have some
scratch space that I can write to for this specialized application.

At any rate, its not too hard to make bootable cds these days so you could
boot an image that mount_mfses critical sections and copies things in that
you need...  Or you could even boot of an MD image stored on a slice on a
CD...  eitehr way.

When you figure it out and get it working, make a web page giving the
step-by-step guide to how to do it... :)

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.