Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:22:03 +0100
From:      Markus Brueffer <markus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark@engr.scu.edu>
Subject:   Re: 6.x fix for 90162 (was Re: usb/90162: [usb] [patch] Add support for the MS Wireless USB Mouse)

--nextPart1239593.lhoB3R9Dnu

On Monday 20 November 2006 19:00, Dorr H. Clark wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR usb/90162; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark@engr.scu.edu>
> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, hm@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: 6.x fix for 90162 (was Re: usb/90162: [usb] [patch] Add support
> for the MS Wireless USB Mouse)
> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:52:53 -0800
>
>  This change adds support for the Microsoft Wireless Notebook
>  Optical Mouse, which fixes 90162.  The fix addresses the 3 problems
>  associated with this mouse: its misrepresentation as a uhid device,
>  invalid offsets for its buttons and x,y,z position coordinates,
>  and the phantom button click.
>
>  The first problem is resolved by bypassing hid_is_collection() and
>  reading the usb interface descriptor directly to detect a usb mouse.
>  The second problem is resolved by hard coding the offsets of the
>  mouse's buttons.  The third problem is resolved by ignoring all
>  interrupts requests for that mouse with the first byte of ibuf
>  set to 0x14.

The real problem here is twofold:

1. Our HID parser has major shortcomings in many ways, which are e.g.=20
   responsible for the messed up item positions you are seeing.
2. ums(4) can only handle mice which report relevant events in a
   report with id 0. If a report with a different id comes in (0x14 in this
   case), things get messy.

I'm currently working on a fix for this as well as our other HID drivers an=
d=20
related userland tools.

Cheers,

Markus