Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:25:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@sliphost37.uni-trier.de>
To:        chokepnt@prima.ruhr.de (Philipp Reichmuth)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM vs. CVSUP

Hello Philipp,

Philipp Reichmuth has written recently:
> I am currently in the process of deciding whether to use CTM or CVSUP
> for keeping my FreeBSD up to date, and I'd appreciate some hint which
> method to use...
>
> Problem 1: Phone costs in Germany are no fun, so the less data is
> transmitted the better.
>
> Problem 2: I can't guarantee my source tree to stay intact which would
> be no problem with CVSUP - CTM leaves me chewing rocks in this case, I'd
> have to manually transmit the file via ftp.

Well, it depends. CTM is the least "expensive" method to update your
source repository because you only get the "pure" diffs. On the other
hand you must not make any changes to your source tree in order for CTM
to work.

CVSup is designed for people who are making local changes to their
sources. As this requires a more complicated update mechanism a CVSup
session requires the exchange of much more data, so CVSup is usually
more "expensive" than CTM.

So, it's finally up to you to decide what is of more importance to you.
But remember: Migrating from CTM to CVSup is simple, but there's no easy
(i.e. inexpensive) way back once you change your mind.

> ah... and BTW: Does it make sense to CVSUP ports? i.e. can I tell him to
> manually select which port to sup in order to avoid sup'ping a few
> hundred megs of source code?

With the CVSup ports you only get the ports files as you normally find
them under /usr/ports. This does *not* include any distfiles from
/usr/ports/distfiles.

--
             Sascha Blank - mailto:blank@fox.uni-trier.de
  Student and System Administrator at the University of Trier, Germany