Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:50:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "David Shanes" <dshanes@personalogic.com>
Cc:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

I was told by Eric Raymond (whom I met briefly at the Mozilla party)
that the *BSD people were deliberately excluded because there were too
many BSDs and they didn't want to get involved in any political issues
over it.  I find these continuous allegations of the BSD world being
gratuitously and needlessly "split" (even though each *BSD seeks to
fill a different niche) by the Linux community to be rather tiresome
considering the amount of division in their own ranks and can only see
this as something of a double standard, but I've long since given up
on any hope of fair play from this particular crowd.

This and several other incidents of a similar nature has pretty much
convinced me that this crowd would rather prefer it if we really
didn't exist at all and is going to essentially conduct their
operations as if we didn't.  Oh well.  Perhaps it *IS* time to go on
the PR offensive here ("Why Linux doesn't work") since playing nice
guys hasn't appeared to have won us anything but lots of nice comments
from folks like Marc A. at netscape to the effect that "Linux is the
only free OS alternative." I'm getting tired of that, and if it's
going to take "breaking ranks" with the rest of the free OS community
to get our own message out, maybe it's time.

					Jordan