Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:25:15 +0100
From:      clay@milos.co.za
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 RELENG_9 Unable to cleanly dismount root partition on shutdown

On 27.08.2012 10:06, Matt Smith wrote:
> I posted on this mailing list two weeks ago and never received any
> replies so I decided to raise a PR via the web form. But I think I
> submitted it under the wrong category and it's marked as low priority
> as well. But I think this is something that is a potential serious
> problem if I end up getting a corrupted filesystem so I'm posting
> here
> again in the hope somebody can help this time. The PR is
> amd64/170646.
>
> I'm now running the latest RELENG_9 code as of 25th August as I've
> done a new buildworld/kernel. I still get the same problem. When I
> reboot it I get WARNING: / was not properly dismounted and it
> rebuilds
> from journal. On shutdown I get the messages pasted below. I'm
> running
> amd64 with GPT partitioning, UFS2 with softupdates and softupdates
> journalling enabled. I have a custom kernel but I don't think I took
> anything important out of it.
>
> Syncing disks, vnodes remaining...7 7 2 0 0 done
> All buffers synced.
> fsync: giving up on dirty
> 0xfffffe0007102780: tag devfs, type VCHR
> usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 2292 mountedhere
> 0xfffffe000000729ca00
> flags (VI(0x200))
> v_object 0xfffffe0005101910 ref 0 pages 23509
> lock type devfs: EXCL by thread 0xfffffe00018fe08e0 (pid 1)
> dev label/root
> umount of / failed (35)
>
> Then when the box comes back up again it detects that / was not
> unmounted
> cleanly and recovers from journal before marking it clean once more.
>
> My uname:
> FreeBSD tao.xtaz.co.uk 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0: Sat
> Aug 25 12:34:52 BST 2012
> root@tao.xtaz.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TAO  amd64
>
> My glabel status:
>                                       Name  Status  Components
>                                gpt/gptboot     N/A  ada0p1
> gptid/bfe99d62-e00f-11e1-8623-00012e475ffb     N/A  ada0p1
>                                 label/root     N/A  ada0p2
>                                 label/swap     N/A  ada0p3
>
> My fstab:
> /dev/label/root / ufs rw 1 1
> /dev/label/swap none swap sw 0 0
>
> My gpart:
> => 34 1250263661 ada0 GPT (596G)
> 34 1024 1 freebsd-boot (512k)
> 1058 990 - free - (495k)
> 2048 1228931072 2 freebsd-ufs (586G)
> 1228933120 21330575 3 freebsd-swap (10G)

Hi Matt

I'm far from anything near an expert on file systems but I'd suggest
you remove softupdates and leave journaling on.
tunefs -n disable
There's no need to have both on and although I agree that both SHOULD
work together there's no reason to have them on together. It will only
slow down writes to the file system. Effectively soft updates was a
go-between before journalin was introduced.

//Clay