Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:17:07 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP ideas?

Quoting Edward D Hensley <ehensle@attglobal.net>:
 [000905 06:15]:
Edward D Hensley>I have just installed FreeBSD 4.0 on one of my older computers
Edward D Hensley>(Gateway2000 P5-120), and am actually enjoying the process very much. I
Edward D Hensley>am also learning a lot about ISP's and Domains, which brings me to the
Edward D Hensley>point of this email.
Edward D Hensley>
Edward D Hensley>I have acquired a domain name that I like, and now want to use it for
Edward D Hensley>internet access, email, etc. However, my current ISp (ATTGLOBAL.NET)
Edward D Hensley>requires that I sign up for Premium service to do so, and then they will
Edward D Hensley>still add on a PRSERV.NET to the end of my name.  By the way, I chose a
Edward D Hensley>.org name since it is only for personal use.

This is quite normal. If you registered your domain name with a body like
Internic (network solutions) or Opensrs (Tucows) then your domain name is
already in the root servers, which I believe should suffice.
You can proceed and run your own name server (There is BIND) that does
this. To set it up you'll need some info on configuring 'named' - you'll
need to buy a book (BIND from Oreilly) or get some tutorials guys have put
on the net, or even from the archives of this list! A good place might be
www.daemonnews.org.....

Edward D Hensley>
Edward D Hensley>Is this normal? Have I grepped the situation with the wrong options?
Edward D Hensley>Isn't there a way to sign up my domain name and use it for my address?
Edward D Hensley>If I am way off base, I would appreciate someone letting me know.

No problem here. You just have to name your FBSD box whatever.org
(rc.conf), then set an smtp and POP3 server on it (Try Exim and QPOPPER -
qpopper because I assume you're still not old enough ;-))
You can istall those from the ports.....
One more thing.....there are FIVE or so major  files you'll have to deal
with in this whole process:

/etc/rc.conf
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/inetd.conf
/etc/named/named.conf
/usr/local/etc/exim/configure

These are just pointers, there may be more and much work to do....

You may also need to talk nicely to a SysAdmin at your ISP for some
help... s/he will be the best person to guide you...

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. -Euripides