Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 23:49:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        karl@mcs.com (Karl Denninger MCSNet)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cloning systems

> How are other people doing it?

Um, well...  I am used to cloning as it is how I have traditionally
installed UNIX  :-)  But with FreeBSD due to the largely nonstandardized
nature of storage technologies (i.e. you have several mutant forms of IDE,
SCSI with silly geometries on different controllers, etc)...  I have
generally used sysinstall to install bin/des/krb and maybe some other stuff.
Typically I install other distributions later, by hand, with tar.

Given a little more disk space - I happen to like the sysinstall based
install (well at least mostly), and I would actually *ideally* like to roll
a "site standard" distribution that included all my favorite bits, packages,
etc., but I haven't done this because I lack the disk space and the time to
engineer it.  This would be substantially similar to cloning in that it
would be cutting all your images from a unified single repository...  nice.
:-)  sysinstall is a necessary evil, I think, to deal with the partitioning
and disk issues, though.

Currently, I am dealing with ports and stuff by actually loading the
entire /usr/ports onto a box and then fudging around to get it to do a make
install (it still has the .install_done from previous machine).  That's a
major strike out for the current ports system - you could not share
/usr/ports via NFS, it would seem, for this reason.  (anyways - it's been a
major annoyance and lately I've started just compiling them all on each
box).

> The base install package wants to take over, and if you quit, you get nailed
> with an immediate reboot.  Not good if you want to clone systems.
>
> I want to be able to clone easily -- I can with BSDI, as their installation
> has parts I can run from a shell to do things like partition disks in a
> reasonable and easy to use format.  FreeBSD appears not to have this as a
> possible option.

Ummmm,  YEAH, that's a really big stumbling block (and really big gripe of
mine at this point!)...  I *really* think that ANY tool to assist in disk
partitioning is very useful - and it pains me to see the current one so
tightly integrated into sysinstall.   I discovered that I didn't really know
how to manually fdisk and partition a disk under the slice system, nd it was
a pain to have to putz around with SCSI ID's in order to get sysinstall to
do what I wanted - just partition the disk.

I think the problem was that I did not know what the NCR810 was translating
the geometry as....  but I don't know for sure....

... Joe