Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:57:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   g++ pkg_add gcc-2.8.1.tgz

Greeetings:

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.5 and have gcc 2.7.2.1 from the cdrom
installation.

What I want is the new C++ features in gcc 2.8.1 and would prefer to do
a pkg_add, because I am new at this.

I take it I need to download gcc-2.8.1.tgz and glibstdc++-2.8.1-tgz.
Do I also need a new gcl 2.2.2? I don't seem to have it now.

I am not sure what it is. Sounds like Gnu Command Line perhaps its an
older gnu C compiler.

Anyway, should I pkg_delete gcc 2.7.2.1 to prevent a big mess?
And how about the existing C++ library?

I am approaching this with extreme caution as need the compiler for school
and messing this up could also affect my ability to make ports.

Please advise if you can.

Thanks