Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:58:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Flaky 3.1R Install - where is my floppy tape?

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> > I'll cover the install (nightmare city) with another posting.
> > But repeated attempts got a somewhat broken system running.
> > I'm up now but keep finding little bits not set up right.
> > (I think the CD might be weak.)
> >
> > Since being careful to do plenty of backing up, I wasn't
> > worried. But now the ft0 (Colorado Jumbo) is not sensed by the
> > probe. Is this gone? Or, needing a kernel rebuild? (I haven't
> > been able to load the kernel sources yet.)
> >
> > I can rebuild most of the data but I've already spent a week
> > band aid patching the system to work and _really_ don't
> > want to do more.
> >
> The install isn't flaky, there are many changes between 3.0 and 3.1

Oh yes it is... Or now I know what is flaky. I've been trying to
get the kernel sources installed all evening. Complete failure. Just
like the original install.

When using the install features of /stand/sysinstall it fails...
*silently*. That is, it goes very slowly then seems to end normally.
However, only 4 subdirectories would be on the disk.

I then used cp to copy the dists onto a file system and run the
install.sh script from there. Worked. I thought it might have been
the CD but I think it is the copy of sysinstall.

This is *exactly* the kind of error I had trying to get the bin
dists onto my system originally, and I note that someone else has had
a similar problem.

Anyone else?

> ft0 no longer exists in freebsd. There was a decision about 2 months ago
> to get rid of it from the kernel.

Ow! Sob... Sniff... Oh well, I'll live. Gives me the excuse I needed
to go get a SCSI tape and move this one to the Windoze machine in
the kitchen. ;-)

Thanks for the reply! I'll get it sooner or later.

John