Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 1995 07:41:57 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, phk@ref.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Disappearing space in root fs.

>Any YP NIS people care to comment ?

>> > could it be that some process (YP ?) has one of the /etc/*.db files
>> > open while the passwd gets changed ?
>> > (Just guessing here...)
>> I seem to lose about 300-400 blocks on / each time I run vipw + passwd.
>>
>> It seems that maybe the temporary file is unlinked but not finally removed.
>> >
>> > What does fsck tell you about the files ?

fsck tells me that vipw unlinks the previous copies pwd.db and spwd.db.
fstat tells me that nothing normally has these files open before or after!
ktrace tells me that vipw and its descendants aren't doing anything
special to the database files.

I'm not running YP or non-default encryption.  The problem is easy to
duplicate - just run vipw and change something.

Bruce