Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 2020 22:14:15 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Andrea Brancatelli <abrancatelli@schema31.it>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Sendmail Mailertable

22.06.2020 21:56, Andrea Brancatelli via freebsd-stable wrote:

> I have an old 10.3 machine with sendmail 8.15.2 that's been working ok
> for a long time.
>
> We have a simple mailterable rule that looks like:
>
> schema31.it    dbmail-lmtpd[10.33.whatever]
>
> That we use to forward mail in LMTP from sendmail to another machine
> where dbmail is working. Everything works as supposed but today after
> years of service someone realized the syntax user+mailbox@schema31.it
> doesn't work as expected.
>
> I did a bit of research and debugging and whatever and found out that
> when a "+" is involved in the mail address mailertable's lookups doesn't
> seem to work and the mail gets sent to local mailer.
>
> I tried even something fancy like
>
> .schema31.it dbmail-lmtpd[10.33.whatever]
>
> Or even the plain all catchall
>
> .   dbmail-lmtpd[10.33.whatever]
>
> But nothing works.
>
> Anybody ever stepped on this and got it working?
>
> Please, please, please, avoid the "drop sendmail and switch to
> <whatever>" replies, if I could I would already done it ;-)

This feature works for me but I use FEATURE(virtusertable) instead of mailertable
to pass mail to my custom mailer:

#virtusertable
# the following rule diverts mail to "plussed" (and only plussed) destination addresses to custom mailer
++@realdomain.net  %1%3@realdomain.net.pseudodomain
#EOF

(mailer definition has CPpseudodomain for this to work).

Maybe it works for mailertable too, try it.