Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:05:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reading a file inside the kernel.

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Would something like what splash_bmp do be ok with you? It delegates
> to loader the responsibility of loading the file (ie, expects it to be
> loaded already).

If thats all I've got to work with then it will have to do.

The file I need to read is a firmware image for a network device that
cannot be attached until the firmware is loaded.

I would like to use something like splash_bmp to load a config file that
specifys a vendor ID/cookie, an image type, offset, and filename.

The driver would parse this config file and would load the appropriate
firmware image for each card it detects.

Due to licensing issues, firmware licensed for use with a particular
vendor card may not be used with cards from a different vendor, though
there is no technical reason why the same image can be used (that I know
of so far.)

Obviously, I could pre-load all the firmware images available but this
seems wasteful.  In addition, I would like the ability to upgrade the
firmware on a card without bringing down the system.  While I might make a
device node to pipe the firmware image to the card once the system is up,
giving the driver the ability to request and load the firmware image on
demand would be nicer.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |