Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 12:23:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Fred Cawthorne <fcawth@jjarray.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow Toshiba 6.7X cdrom drive.

I just purchased a Toshiba 3701B 6.7X scsi drive.  I have the 3401 and I
like it, and the price was good...  Has anyone else had problems getting
this drive to work at full speed??  I get 300K/sec with a 486-66 and
an Ultrastor 14f controller.  I get 500K/sec with a 1542CF on a P-90
system.  I can get 1MB/sec with an NCR scsi controller on the pentium system.
What's going on here?
Toshiba's technical support is EXTREMELY useless (they hung up on me even...)
I can get 600K/sec with a zip drive on the Ultrastor, and >1 meg/sec with
disks on the 1542...  It seems that the scsi interface on this cdrom drive
is really inefficient or something.
Could it be that my drive is messed up somehow?
BTW, I am running 2.1R on the machine with the ultrastor, and I get similar
speeds in dos on that machine.  I am running a month-old current on the P-90
system...

I would appreciate any information about this.  I am starting to regret
this purchase...  I guess I should have bought the Plextor 4X drive. ):