Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 08:40:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Fred Cawthorne <fred@jjarray.umd.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, fcawth@jjarray.umd.edu
Subject:   Re: HP CD Writer

> As Fred Cawthorne wrote:
> >
> > I just installed an HP Surestore CD writer in my FreeBSD-2.1R box.
> > I have a couple of questions:
> >
> > 1.
> >  It is probed like a regular scsi CD rom, i.e. :
> > (ncr0:6:0): "HP C4324/C4325 1.20" type 5 removable SCSI 2
> > cd1(ncr0:6:0): CD-ROM cd present.[330928 x 2340 byte records]
> >  Is this correct??  Will I be able to issue scsi commands to the cd1
> >  device?  (i.e. shouldn't I be using the worm device to write CD's)
>
> You need an ``override entry'' in scsiconf.c.  Most likely:
>
> 	{
> 		T_WORM, T_WORM, T_REMOV, "HP", "C4324/C4325", "*",
> 		"worm", SC_ONE_LU
> 	},

I assume there are only supposed to be one of the T_WORM above?  At least
that is what the other entries look like.  Also, what exactly is the
format of this thing and how does it work?  I can't seem to get it to
work.  Does it compare the ID strings for every device type, then
make it type T_WORM and attach it to the worm driver no matter what
device type the drive actually returns?

> For FreeBSD 2.1, you also need to rebuild your system with the
> ``options NEW_SCSICONF'' (verify my spelling in scsiconf.c, please).

I did this...

> > 3. When I initially tried to mount a cdrom, I got a bunch of scsi
> >   error messages.
>
> > Jan 24 11:55:41 jjarray /kernel: sd1(ncr0:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
> > Jan 24 11:55:41 jjarray /kernel: sd1(ncr0:1:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred
>
> As it stands: a unit attention.  These drives tend to generate a lot
> of them.

The unit attention seems to be the result of the ncr driver resetting the
bus when the handshake timeout occurs.  I have disabled the handshake
timeout (like it is in the -current driver) and I don't see these problems
any more.

Fred.